You may have noticed that Catch Surf surfboards seem to have a HUGE variety of board models available and it’s damn right confusing. This is mainly because they have a very large number of signature editions of each model. We’re going to dig into a review of the range they have on offer looking at the key softboard models that make up their line up, to try and simplify things for you.
The Beater Board was the original really popular board for Catch Surf Boards and people have been going crazy about them for years now. The boards are flexible in that you can ride them as a bodyboard, skimboard or surfboard with or without fins. The latest Beaters are light but with two maple-plywood stringers and dual composite core so are strong and durable. Tapered D-rails and a twin-channel crescent tail allow the board to perform well even when ridden finless.
- Really fun in different sorts of waves including shore breaks
- Good for kids as well as adults
- People love the flexibility to use as a bodyboard or a surfboard
The Beater Board comes with twin fin or single fin setup and two sizes:
54” (4’6″) x 20” x 2.5” (35 Liters)
48″ (4’0″) x 20″ x 2.5″ (31 Liters)
Check Beater Price & Availability in U.S.A, Canada, UK, Europe, Japan:
The Odysea range makes up the majority of boards within Catch Surf Board’s lineup but is kinda hard to get your head around as there are 5 (quite different) models with a huge number of special signature editions for each model. The different signature editions for each model are on the most part not different from a technical/design point of view – just signature prints/colours (eg. Jamie O’Brien signature model, Kalani Robb signature model).
Referred to as the baby brother of the Catch Surf Log – half the size and double the fun! The board still has great float, can easily get into waves, can hold a line and turn on rail. As such it suits a wide variety of waves and conditions including pitching tubes, dumpy waves, shore breaks and sloppy average conditions up to around 4 foot.
- Surfers say they love that they can rip on it in waves that usually would be restricted to longboards.
- It appears to be popular with a wide variety of surfers from experienced to learners and kids, however we suggest better for intermediate to advanced due to small size
- On waves any bigger than around 4 foot our reviewer says it started to slide out and surfed best between 3-4 foot
The Stump is only available in one size with thruster (tri-fin) OR quad setup:
5’0” x 21.5” x 2.5” (36L)
Check ODYSEA Price & Availability in U.S.A, Canada, UK, Europe, Japan:
The Skipper comes in two main variations being thruster (tri-fin) and quad fin setup. It is a fish shape board with good down the line speed and designed for drawn out turns.
- Fun and perfect for summer
- Good float and suited to wide range of surfer ability and including kids
- Great in crowds and in average waves
Available in 3 sizes in both the thruster and quad versions:
5’6” x 21.0” x 2.875” (42 Liters)
6’0” x 21.5” x 3.0” (48 Liters)
6’6” x 22.0” x 3.125” (55 Liters)
Check SKIPPER Price & Availability in U.S.A, Canada, UK, Europe, Japan:
Odysea 54 SPECIAL
This tiny board is described by Catch Surf Boards as a pint sized shred stick and the love child of the Beater, Original 54 & Odysea Stump models. Coming in at only 54 inches (4’6″) these things pack performance pushing the boundaries of what softboards can do. Comprising a concave entry and vee out the tail and a flat centre line providing good speed down the line but with rockered rails giving responsive turning.
- Surfers unanimously say it is a very fun board, paddles really well and catches waves you may usually not be able to because of the volume,
- Some say it is like a skateboard for the ocean!
- Very good for surfing shore breaks
Only available in one size:
54″ (4’6”) x 19.75” x 2.5” (32 Liters) and with tri fin setup.
Check 54 SPECIAL Price & Availability in U.S.A, Canada, UK, Europe, Japan:
A very popular board within the Catch Surf Surfboards range is the Catch Surf Log! Designed with classic looks and with maximising wave count in mind, this board will suit any level of surfer from beginner to expert. There is wide range of lengths available in this model but all have huge volume and float, and are very strong having triple wood stringers that differentiate them from the stump, skipper and special 54. All Logs are thruster (tri fin) setup.
Check out our indepth reviews of the:
- Fun board for everyone including beginner and intermediate/advanced surfers.
- Good for kids (smaller models) and very easy to surf and paddle.
- High quality and durable, makes small days super fun and increases your wave count
- Will muscle through chop and bumps and catch basically anything. A must have for anyone’s quiver
Available in 4 sizes:
6’0” x 22.0” x 3.125” (57L)
7’0” x 22.0” x 3.125” (72L)
8’0” x 23.0” x 3.375” (86L)
9.0” x 24.0” x 3.5” (98L)
Check LOG Price & Availability in U.S.A, Canada, UK, Europe, Japan:
The womper is a uniquely shaped 16″ hand plane designed for body surfing. These little guys are built for run and to get you into little barrels and shorebreak dumpers onto the sand for a bit of alternative fun to traditional surfing.
- Performs well in small and big waves
- Very fun in wipeouts and shories
- Good alternative to stand up surfing to work out the legs etc
- Great in barrels
Check WOMPER Price & Availability in U.S.A, Canada, UK, Europe, Japan:
When it comes to Catch Surf Boards, we are spoilt for choice both in terms of the number of different softboard models on offer and more colours and designs you could ever want to get your hands on. Enjoy!