Surfing enthusiasts know that Puerto Vallarta is a prime destination for catching waves. Located on the Pacific coast of Mexico, Puerto Vallarta boasts some of the best surf spots in the country.
The town sits in the middle of the Bahia de Banderas, a wide and stunning bay that offers a variety of breaks for surfers of all levels.
One of the best surf spots near Puerto Vallarta is Punta de Mita, located just a short drive from the town of Sayulita.
This surf spot is known for its consistent waves and is home to an annual surf competition. Punta de Mita is an ideal place to practice for beginners as it has fewer tourists than other popular spots.
Surf lessons are also available for those who want to learn the basics or improve their skills.
Surfing in Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta is a fantastic destination for surfers of all levels.
The city is located in the state of Jalisco, on the Pacific coast of Mexico, and offers a variety of surf spots with different types of waves. From beginner-friendly beaches to challenging reef breaks, Puerto Vallarta has it all.
One of the most popular surf spots in Puerto Vallarta is Punta Mita, located at the northern tip of Bahia de Banderas. This spot is well-known for its consistent waves and is suitable for surfers of all levels. The waves at Punta Mita are best between April and October, so make sure to check the tide charts before you go.
Another great spot for beginner surfers is La Lancha, located just north of Punta Mita. This beach break offers gentle waves and a sandy bottom, making it a perfect spot for those who are just starting out.
San Pancho, located a bit further north, is also a good spot for beginners.
For more experienced surfers, El Anclote is a reef break located in Punta de Mita. This spot offers fast, hollow waves that can be challenging, but also very rewarding. The reef at El Anclote can be dangerous, so it’s important to know what you’re doing before you paddle out.
If you’re looking for surf lessons, there are plenty of options in Puerto Vallarta.
Many surf shops offer lessons for beginners, and some also offer guided tours to different surf spots in the area. Just make sure to choose a reputable surf school with experienced instructors.
Overall, Puerto Vallarta is a great destination for surfers looking for a variety of surf spots and waves. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced surfer, there’s something for everyone in this beautiful city on the Pacific coast of Mexico.
Best Surf Spots in Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta is a popular surfing destination in Mexico, with a variety of surf breaks suitable for all levels of surfers.
Here are some of the best surf spots in Puerto Vallarta, divided into three categories: beach breaks, reef breaks, and point breaks.
Beach breaks are ideal for beginners and intermediate surfers, as they offer gentle waves and sandy bottoms.
Some of the best beach breaks in Puerto Vallarta include:
- Punta Mita: Located at the northern tip of Bahia de Banderas, Punta Mita is a popular surf spot with consistent waves all year round. It is suitable for all levels of surfers, with both left and right-hand waves.
- Sayulita: Sayulita is a charming surf town located about 45 minutes north of Puerto Vallarta. It has a variety of beach breaks suitable for beginners and intermediate surfers, as well as a few reef breaks for more experienced surfers.
- Burros: Punta Burros is a secluded beach break located about 15 minutes north of Puerto Vallarta. It is less crowded than other surf spots in the area and offers consistent waves all year round.
Reef breaks are suitable for more experienced surfers, as they offer bigger waves and shallow reef bottoms.
Some of the best reef breaks in Puerto Vallarta include:
- El Faro: Located near the Marina Vallarta, El Faro is a powerful reef break that offers both left and right-hand waves. It is suitable for experienced surfers only, as the waves can get quite big.
- Coral: Coral is a reef break located near the town of Boca de Tomatlan. It offers consistent waves all year round and is suitable for intermediate and advanced surfers.
- Veneros: Veneros is a reef break located in the Riviera Nayarit, about 30 minutes north of Puerto Vallarta. It offers both left and right-hand waves and is suitable for intermediate and advanced surfers.
Point breaks are suitable for experienced surfers, as they offer long, fast waves that break over rocky points.
Some of the best point breaks in Puerto Vallarta include:
- La Lancha: La Lancha is a point break located near Punta Mita. It offers long, fast waves that are suitable for experienced surfers only.
- Quimixto: Quimixto is a secluded point break located south of Puerto Vallarta. It is accessible only by boat or hiking through the jungle and offers long, fast waves that are suitable for experienced surfers.
Overall, Puerto Vallarta is a great destination for surfers of all levels. Whether you’re looking for gentle beach breaks or challenging reef and point breaks, there is something for everyone in this beautiful surf town.
Surfing Conditions in Puerto Vallarta
When it comes to surfing in Puerto Vallarta, there are a few key factors to consider. In this section, we will explore the different conditions that can affect your surfing experience in the area.
The swell direction in Puerto Vallarta is primarily from the west, making it a great spot for surfers looking for left-hand breaks.
However, there are also some spots that offer right-hand breaks for those who prefer them. The best time to catch the waves is during the winter months, when the swells are at their peak.
Puerto Vallarta offers surf spots for all skill levels, from beginners to advanced surfers.
For beginners, it is recommended to stick to the beaches with smaller waves, such as Sayulita. For more experienced surfers, Punta Mita is a great spot to catch some larger waves.
The bottom type in Puerto Vallarta varies from spot to spot.
Some areas have sandy bottoms, while others have rocky or reef bottoms. It is important to be aware of the bottom type when choosing a surf spot, as it can affect the type of waves you will encounter.
The tide can also have an impact on the waves in Puerto Vallarta. Some spots are better during high tide, while others are better during low tide.
It is important to check the tide charts before heading out to ensure you are hitting the waves at the right time.
Overall, Puerto Vallarta offers a variety of surfing conditions for surfers of all levels. By considering the swell direction, skill level, bottom type, and tide, surfers can find the perfect spot to catch some waves in this beautiful area.
Other Water Activities in Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta is not just a surfing destination.
There are many other fun water activities to enjoy while in the area.
Here are some great options to consider.
Puerto Vallarta is home to some excellent snorkeling spots. Los Arcos National Marine Park is a popular destination for snorkeling.
This park is located just off the coast of Puerto Vallarta and is home to a variety of marine life, including colorful fish, sea turtles, and even octopuses.
Another great spot for snorkeling is Marietas Islands, which is located about an hour’s boat ride from Puerto Vallarta. This area has crystal clear waters and a diverse range of marine life.
Kayaking is a great way to explore the beautiful coastline of Puerto Vallarta. There are many rental shops that offer kayaks for rent.
One popular kayaking destination is the Rio Cuale, which is a river that flows through the heart of Puerto Vallarta.
This river offers a calm and peaceful kayaking experience, surrounded by lush greenery and wildlife. Another option is to kayak to the hidden beaches that can only be accessed by boat.
Whale watching is a popular activity in Puerto Vallarta during the winter months. From December to March, humpback whales migrate to the warm waters of Banderas Bay to mate and give birth.
There are many whale watching tours available, which offer a chance to see these majestic creatures up close. Some tours even include snorkeling stops, where you can swim with schools of tropical fish.
Overall, Puerto Vallarta offers a variety of water activities for visitors to enjoy. Whether you are looking to snorkel, kayak, or go whale watching, there is something for everyone.
Accommodations for Surfers in Puerto Vallarta
When planning a surf trip to Puerto Vallarta, accommodation is a crucial factor to consider.
Here are some options for surfers looking for a place to stay.
Puerto Vallarta has a wide range of hotels that cater to surfers. Some of them are located in the heart of the city, while others are closer to the surf breaks.
Here are a few options:
- Hotel Mousai: This luxurious hotel is located in the heart of Puerto Vallarta and offers stunning ocean views. It’s a great option for surfers who want to stay in the city and be close to the nightlife.
- Hotelito Mio: This boutique hotel is located in the town of Cabo Corrientes, about an hour’s drive from Puerto Vallarta. It’s a great option for surfers who want to escape the crowds and surf in a more secluded location.
- Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa: This hotel is located on the beach and offers easy access to the surf breaks. It’s a great option for surfers who want to stay in a more traditional hotel setting.
Surf camps are a popular option for surfers who want to immerse themselves in the surf culture and improve their skills.
Here are a few options:
- WildMex Surf & Adventure: This surf camp offers a variety of packages for surfers of all levels. They also offer yoga classes and other activities.
- Sayulita Surf Camp: This surf camp is located in the town of Sayulita, about 45 minutes from Puerto Vallarta. They offer surf lessons, surf camps, and surf trips to nearby breaks.
- Punta Mita Surf Academy: This surf camp is located in Punta Mita, about 45 minutes from Puerto Vallarta. They offer surf lessons, surf camps, and surf trips to nearby breaks.
No matter what type of accommodation you choose, make sure to do your research and book in advance, especially during peak season. With the right accommodation, you can enjoy all that Puerto Vallarta has to offer, both on and off the waves.
In conclusion, Puerto Vallarta and the Nayarit coast offer a variety of options for surfers of all levels. From long rides to fast waves, there is something for everyone. The area is also a great place to take surfing lessons, with several reputable schools available.
While there are many water sports available in the area, surfing is undoubtedly one of the most popular. With its warm waters and consistent waves, Puerto Vallarta is quickly becoming a top destination for surfers from around the world.
For those looking for a break from the waves, many hotels and resorts in the area offer stunning pools with ocean views. This is a great way to relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery after a long day of surfing.
Puerto Vallarta is a great place for surfers and water sports enthusiasts alike. With its stunning beaches, warm waters, and consistent waves, it is easy to see why the area has become such a popular destination for surfers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there good surfing near Puerto Vallarta?
Yes, there are several good surfing spots near Puerto Vallarta. Some of the best surf spots are along Bahia de Banderas, including Punta Mita, La Lancha, and Sayulita.
What are the best months to surf in Puerto Vallarta?
The best months to surf in Puerto Vallarta are from November to April when the waves are consistent and the weather is mild. During the summer months, the waves can be smaller and less consistent.
Where can I find surf lessons in Puerto Vallarta?
There are several surf schools and instructors in Puerto Vallarta that offer surf lessons for beginners and intermediate surfers. Some of the popular surf schools are WildMex Surf & Adventure, Vallarta Surf Guide, and Surf Mexico.
Are there any surf camps in Puerto Vallarta?
Yes, there are several surf camps in Puerto Vallarta that offer surf packages for beginners and experienced surfers. Some of the popular surf camps are WildMex Surf & Adventure, Surf Mexico, and Vida Surf.
Can you surf in Nuevo Vallarta?
Yes, you can surf in Nuevo Vallarta. There are several surf spots in the area, including La Lancha and El Anclote, which are located in the nearby town of Punta Mita.
What is the surf report for Puerto Vallarta?
The surf report for Puerto Vallarta varies depending on the time of year and the surf spot. It is recommended to check the surf report before heading out to surf to ensure you have the best conditions possible. Some websites that provide surf reports for Puerto Vallarta are Surfline and Magicseaweed.