If you’re an avid surfer and want to capture your moves on camera, mounting a GoPro on your surfboard is a great way to do it.
However, finding the right mount for a soft top surfboard can be challenging. Soft top surfboards have a rough surface that makes it difficult for standard adhesive mounts to stick on securely.
Fortunately, there are specific mounts designed for soft top surfboards that provide a secure and stable attachment for your GoPro.
One popular option is the bodyboard mount, which screws through your surfboard and works with soft-tops up to 3 inches thick. Another option is the soft top + bodyboard mount, which combines a leash plug and adhesive mount for a secure attachment.
Before you choose a mount, it’s important to consider the thickness of your soft top surfboard and the type of footage you want to capture. With the right mount, you can capture POV footage while bodyboarding, surfing, or SUPing, and take stunning selfies while riding the waves.
What is a Soft Top Surfboard?
A soft top surfboard, also known as a foamie, is a type of surfboard that is designed with a foam core and a soft outer layer.
This makes them ideal for beginners and surfers who want to catch small to medium-sized waves. Soft top surfboards are also popular among surf schools and rental shops because they are durable and easy to repair.
Unlike traditional fiberglass surfboards, soft top surfboards are much more forgiving and less likely to cause injury to the rider or others in the water.
They are also more buoyant, which makes them easier to paddle and catch waves on. Soft top surfboards come in a variety of shapes and sizes, from longboards to shortboards, and can be used in a variety of conditions.
One of the main advantages of soft top surfboards is that they are typically less expensive than traditional surfboards. This makes them a great option for beginners who are just starting out and don’t want to invest a lot of money in a surfboard.
Soft top surfboards are also a great option for surfers who travel frequently and want a board that is easy to transport.
What is a GoPro Mount?
A GoPro mount is a device that attaches a GoPro camera to a surfboard, allowing surfers to capture their rides and share them with others. There are many different types of GoPro mounts available, each designed to work with a specific type of surfboard or activity.
Mounts can be attached to the nose, tail, or deck of a surfboard, depending on the desired angle and perspective. They can also be mounted on the surfer’s body, such as on the wrist or chest, for a first-person view of the ride.
Some mounts require drilling a hole in the surfboard, which can void the board’s warranty. Other mounts use a suction cup or adhesive to attach to the board, which can be less secure but also less invasive.
When choosing a GoPro mount, it is important to consider:
- the type of surfboard
- the desired angle and perspective
- and the level of security needed for the camera
It is also important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for installation and use to ensure the safety of the camera and the surfer.
Why Use a GoPro Mount on a Soft Top Surfboard?
Surfing is a thrilling experience, and capturing those moments on camera can make it even more memorable.
That’s where a GoPro mount comes in handy. With a GoPro camera mounted on your soft top surfboard, you can capture all the action from your perspective, making your surfing videos more immersive and exciting.
Here are some reasons why you should consider using a GoPro mount on your soft top surfboard:
- Capture unique angles: A GoPro mount on your soft top surfboard allows you to capture unique angles that are not possible with traditional handheld cameras. You can record your surfing experience from your point of view, giving your viewers a sense of what it’s like to ride the waves.
- Hands-free operation: With a GoPro mount on your surfboard, you can keep your hands free to focus on surfing. You don’t have to worry about holding the camera or adjusting its position, allowing you to concentrate on your surfing.
- Preserve memories: Surfing is an exhilarating experience, and capturing those moments on camera can help preserve those memories for years to come. With a GoPro mount, you can relive those moments and share them with your friends and family.
Overall, a GoPro mount on your soft top surfboard can enhance your surfing experience by allowing you to capture unique angles, operate hands-free, and preserve your memories. It’s a great investment for anyone who loves surfing and wants to share their experiences with others.
Types of Soft Top Surfboard GoPro Mounts
Adhesive mounts are the most common type of mount used for soft top surfboards. They are easy to install and can be used on any part of the board.
Adhesive mounts come in different shapes and sizes, and some are specifically designed for soft top boards. They are made of strong adhesive material that can withstand the impact of waves and saltwater.
One of the benefits of adhesive mounts is that they are low profile, which means they won’t interfere with your surfing. However, they are not as secure as other types of mounts and can come off if not installed properly.
Suction Cup Mounts
Suction cup mounts are another popular option for soft top surfboards. They are easy to install and can be used on any smooth, flat surface.
Suction cup mounts are more secure than adhesive mounts, but they are not as low profile. They can also be affected by water and can come off if not installed properly.
Suction cup mounts come in different sizes and shapes, and some are specifically designed for soft top boards. They are made of strong, durable material that can withstand the impact of waves and saltwater.
Strap mounts are a less common option for soft top surfboards, but they are still worth considering.
They are easy to install and can be used on any part of the board. Strap mounts are more secure than adhesive mounts and suction cup mounts, but they are not as low profile.
Strap mounts come in different sizes and shapes, and some are specifically designed for soft top boards. They are made of strong, durable material that can withstand the impact of waves and saltwater. One of the benefits of strap mounts is that they can be adjusted to fit different board sizes and shapes.
In summary, there are three main types of soft top surfboard GoPro mounts: adhesive mounts, suction cup mounts, and strap mounts. Each type has its own benefits and drawbacks, so it’s important to choose the one that best suits your needs.
Where to Mount GoPro on Surfboard
Mounting your GoPro on your surfboard is a great way to capture your surfing experience and create amazing videos that you can share with your friends and family.
But where exactly should you mount your GoPro on your surfboard?
Here are a few options.
Front of the Board
The most common place to mount your GoPro on a surfboard is at the front of the board, facing you. This allows you to capture your perspective as you ride the waves.
The recommended distance from the nose of the surfboard is between 4-8 inches. This position is great for getting footage of your face, your board, and the waves in front of you.
Back of the Board
Another option is to mount your GoPro on the back of the board, facing toward the tail.
This position can provide a unique perspective of your surfing and the waves behind you. However, it may be more difficult to get clear footage of your face and body.
Top of the Board
You can also mount your GoPro on the top of your surfboard, facing downward.
This position can capture a bird’s eye view of your surfing and the waves around you. However, it may be challenging to get stable footage, especially in choppy conditions.
If you want to capture a first-person perspective of your surfing, you can use a mouth mount.
This is a mount that attaches to your mouth or helmet, allowing you to capture footage of your face and the waves in front of you. This option is great for surfers who want to capture their reactions and emotions as they ride the waves.
Ultimately, the best place to mount your GoPro on your surfboard depends on your personal preferences and the type of footage you want to capture. Consider experimenting with different mounting positions to find the one that works best for you.
How to Mount GoPro to Surfboard
Mounting a GoPro to your surfboard can be a great way to capture your surfing experience and share it with others.
Here are a few methods you can use to mount your GoPro to your soft top surfboard:
- Bodyboard Mount: One of the easiest and most popular methods is to use a bodyboard mount. This mount attaches to the slick bottom of your soft top surfboard with a strong adhesive. The GoPro then attaches to the mount with a screw.
- Surfboard Mount: Another option is to use a surfboard mount. This method involves drilling a hole in your surfboard and attaching the mount with screws. While this method is more secure, it can also damage your surfboard.
- Soft Top Mount: If you have a soft top surfboard, you can use a soft top mount. This mount attaches to the foam deck of your surfboard with a strong adhesive. The GoPro then attaches to the mount with a screw.
When mounting your GoPro, it’s important to consider the placement of the camera. You want to make sure that the camera is facing the right direction and is not obstructed by your body or the surfboard.
Here are a few tips:
- Place the camera at the front of the board for a forward-facing view.
- Place the camera at the back of the board for a rear-facing view.
- Make sure the camera is not too close to your body or the surfboard.
With these tips and methods, you can easily mount your GoPro to your soft top surfboard and capture all the action on the waves.
Tips for Using a Soft Top Surfboard GoPro Mount
If you’re planning to mount your GoPro on a soft top surfboard, there are a few things you should keep in mind to ensure a successful and safe experience:
- Choose the right mount: Not all GoPro mounts are created equal, and not all of them are suitable for use on a soft top surfboard. Look for mounts that are specifically designed for use on foam boards, as they will be more secure and less likely to damage your board.
- Prepare the surface: Before attaching the mount, make sure the surface of your board is clean and dry. Use a damp cloth to wipe away any dirt or debris, and allow the board to dry completely before proceeding.
- Use the right tools: Depending on the type of mount you’re using, you may need to drill holes in your board to attach it. Make sure you have the right tools for the job, and take your time to ensure that the holes are properly aligned and sized.
- Secure the mount properly: Once the mount is attached, make sure it is securely fastened to your board. Give it a gentle tug to make sure it doesn’t come loose, and double-check the screws or adhesive to ensure they are tight and secure.
- Protect your board: Even with a foam-specific mount, there is still a risk of damage to your board. To minimize this risk, consider using a protective cover or tape around the mount area to prevent scratches or dings.
By following these tips, you can enjoy the benefits of capturing your surf sessions on camera without risking damage to your soft top surfboard. Just remember to always prioritize safety and take the necessary precautions to protect your gear and yourself.
Mounting a GoPro to a soft top surfboard is a great way to capture your surfing adventures and share them with others. There are several ways to mount a GoPro to a soft top surfboard, including using surf mounts, adhesive mounts, and suction cup mounts. Each method has its advantages and disadvantages, so it’s important to choose the one that works best for you and your specific needs.
When choosing a mount, it’s important to consider the type of surfboard you have, the type of waves you’ll be surfing, and the type of footage you want to capture. For example, if you’re surfing in big waves, a suction cup mount may not be the best choice as it may come loose. On the other hand, if you want to capture footage from a unique angle, a surf mount may be the best option.
It’s also important to ensure that the mount you choose is compatible with your GoPro camera. Most mounts are designed to work with all GoPro models, but it’s always a good idea to double-check before making a purchase.
Overall, mounting a GoPro to a soft top surfboard is a fun and easy way to capture your surfing adventures and share them with others. With the right mount and a little bit of practice, you can create amazing footage that will make you the envy of all your surfing buddies.