Formula Fun Surfboards are an exciting company based in Irvine, California producing 100% recyclable high performance foamies.
Teaming up with Marko Foam Blanks who are at the forefront of environmentally sustainable blanks production utilizing recycled materials, Formula Fun have designed some great boards that look really special, surf amazingly and can be fully recycled at the end of their useable life.
Their unique construction combines an in-moulded stringer system, high-density moulded copolymer core, recessed EVA rigid foam deck pad (eliminates the need for any wax at all) and Futures Fins system.
The company offers a Recycling Loyalty Program with a $50 credit to your next board when dropped or sent to their HQ. This is a similar initiative being rolled out by other environmentally conscious foamie brands such as Almond Surfboards, Album Surfboards and Spooked Kooks.
I haven’t ridden these boards yet but am so keen to jump on one!
So far, Formula Fun only have 2 models available but if they are anything to go by, it will be very exciting to see what they come up with next. Here is a review of their current offerings:
1. 5’3″ Twin Fin Fish
With a classic Twin Fin Fish design and packing 43L of volume into only 5’3″ length, this board is very buoyant, easy to paddle and catch waves and from all accounts is really a lot of fun in anything from small to head high + waves.
A really big bonus of this board is the wax free deck pad.
It comes with Futures Fins system, so you can mix up your fins for a different feel.
They keep it simple with only one size available but a number of colour options:
5’3″ x 21 1/2″ x 3″ (42L)
- Many like the wax free deck pad
- Reviews suggest very fun in 2-4 ft waves with some saying surfed in overhead barrels and it handled it well, good in shorebreaks and crowds
- Very floaty, easy to paddle and get into waves, still easy to duck dive despite volume
- Loose, but responsive and turns well
- Carves and performs better than other foam boards and doesn’t feel like a soft top
- Fun for beginners but also intermediate/advanced
- People are surprised at how much volume it packs for such a short board
- Futures Fin box is popular for flexibility to change up the feel and responsiveness of the board
- Reviewers love that it is recyclable
- One negative point mentioned by a few people is the placement of the lease plug on left side for regular stance leash can get in the way
- Also wearing a shirt is needed to avoid rash
Available on AMAZON (US) for worldwide delivery including Australia:
2. 7’10” Noll
- Aesthetic design is great
- As it’s bulky the hand hold is a ‘handy’ feature for carrying the board over longer distance
- Recommended for anyone from beginner to intermediate or advanced for a bit of fun
- Easy wave catcher/paddler
- Very fun but responsive’
Looking forward to seeing more from Formula Fun Surfboards… 😉
If you have any of these boards yourself and can offer any further feedback please drop a comment!