Fun mid-length soft top from Australia’s Spooked Kooks – pioneers of recycled plastic in the softboard market
Spooked Kooks Dead Hippie 8’0″
Reviewed by: Lucas (Beginner – surfing for one year)
Dimensions: 8’0″ x 22 1/2″ x 3″ (66L)
Fins: Tri fin setup (made of recycled plastic)
What we like: Environmentally responsible, looks great and easy wave catching machine
What we don’t: …..
What does Spooked Kooks Say:
“The Dead Hippie channels the spirit of surfing’s Golden Age: the revolutionary 1960s and 70s. It has all the features to help you find that sweet spot on the wave, with plenty of width and volume so you can move around on deck and clock up some serious nasal time.
Fun for all skill levels. A little longer and wider than the mini-mal version of the DEAD HIPPIE, with over 10 litres more volume, means this board is a dream for the beginner. It is also a great option for the more advanced surfer looking to hone their logging skills, as there is ample room to move around on deck and get some nasal trim.
Ideal wave size: 1-3 foot with some down-the-line form.
ALL HARD PLASTIC IN THIS SOFTBOARD IS 100% RECYCLED POST-CONSUMER PLASTIC WASTE. THIS INCLUDES THE “SLICK”, LEASH PLUG, FIN BOX AND FIN KEY. ALL SPOOKED KOOKS SOFTBOARDS COME WITH A FREE COTTON BOARD BAG (INSTEAD OF SHRINK WRAP!).”
- 8LB PE Deck
- Bamboo veneer reinforced EPS Foam Core
- HDPE Slick – 100% Recycled Plastic
- Double Stringer (Paulownia Wood)
- Removable Fin System (Fins and Fin Key Included) – 100% Recycled Plastic
- Very slight rocker designed for easy wave catching
What do you like about the Spooked Kooks Dead Hippie?
What I like the most is its stability which allows me to walk the board comfortably and has plenty of room for mistakes but easily manoeuvre for it’s size. It floats so much that it catches waves super easily and being really stable it’s also really easy to stand up on.
What don’t you like about it?
Because of its large size and being so stable, if I want to challenge myself and surf bigger waves I find it a bit limited but it’s not designed for that.
I found it a bit hard to paddle and turn at the beginning because it’s really wide but gets easier as soon as you get some momentum. I should note that I also started surfing a year ago on a shortboard.
Experience in the Surf / What kind of waves is the board suited to?
I think it surfs great, very comfortable and I’ve ridden it mostly at beach break and point break waves up to head high.
I like it best for beach breaks of waist to chest height.
What kind of surfer is this board best for?
This board would best suit a beginner level surfer, perfect as a first board, or an intermediate level surfer who really wants to practice some longboard tricks and likes to walk the board, mainly because of its stability.
Does it compare to any other boards (soft tops or regular) that you have ridden?
I only have a fiberglass shortboard (30L) which feels a lot lighter and really unstable but is more fun to surf on more critical waves if you’re up for the challenge.
Any other Comments?
I also like the idea of the board being made out of recycled plastic.
I would rate this board 8.5 out of 10.
Other buyer reviews:
- I took it out yesterday for the first time, super fun and I love it!!
- Great new addition to our family. Purchased for the days when the surf is a bit rough. Performed well in both little waves on a point & open beach dumpers.
- I’m just learning to surf and bought this board on a whim due to Spooked Kooks ethics. I am so impressed! I stood up the first try and it feels as stable as if you’re sitting on a table top in the surf. I’m buying another for my sister. Highly recommended!
- Got it for my girlfriend and she absolutely loves it! Good job guys!
- As an old “Young Ones” Fan I just had to buy this board. I haven’t been disappointed. I love the way it handles and it makes me laugh every time I read the name…..:)
- Great softboard, bought it for my partner. She loves it, you guys are awesome, keep up the amazing work
Make sure to check out our overview of the full Spooked Kooks range and our other reviews of mid lengths & beginner boards!