HISTORY OF BIC SURFBOARDS
Over 20 years ago BIC Sport launched the first molded production surfboard in the history of the sport. This radical idea opened the sport to tens of thousands of new surfers by offering a winning combination of performance and durability at a reasonable price. In order to design a full range of molded boards Bic Surfboards partnered with some of the best board shapers in the industry. One of those shapers, Gerard Dabbadie, understood and believed in the idea of making surfing accessible to everyone as well as the fact that each of his original shapes would be built exactly as intended, in each board that came out of the mold. Gerard has been with the brand since the beginning and still is today. He designed most models in the BIC Surfboard range, including the legendary 7’9 and 7’3 models, both of which have seen more than 100,000 units produced and shipped from the production facility in Vannes, Brittany.
In the early 2000’s BIC Surf developed the One Design concept in surfing, where all competitors use the same equipment to level the playing field for all competitors. This effort culminated in the Longboard Challenge, an international caliber competition open to all professional surfers. Today the concept lives on with the BIC KID One Design, a one design surf competition open to up and coming young French surfers, stays faithful to the «one board for all» concept in amateur competitions. This discipline has seen a record increase in numbers in 2016, with more than 100 young surfers turning up at each of the three BIC KID event stops. The 2016 Monitors Challenge saw surf instructors from across southwest France battling each other while all riding the same DURA-TEC 7’0 Egg model, a highly versatile board for progressive surfing.
More recently BIC Surf received the European Surf Industry Manufacturers Association Brand of the Year award in 2013 and as well as the Ecoride Gold award in 2013-2016 for environmental commitments throughout the entire design and manufacturing process.
The new PAINT Softboard range have been updated with the shapes of the 7’0 and 8’0 Paint boards, now called the Magnum and the Super Magnum, adding width and thickness while keeping a performance outline and bottom shape. These new boards fulfill a simple mission: make surfing accessible and fun for everyone while maintaining solid performance for enthusiast surfers. All Paint models 6’0 and longer now have a convenient carry handle, located close to the rail for carrying comfort for riders of all sizes, including kids.
The DURA-TEC range is still the go-to choice as rental boards and are the ultimate boards for novice and intermediate riders looking for maximum durability and reliable performance. No worries about being stuck on the beach because of a dinged or broken board – surf worry-free and maximize your time in the water! For a higher level of lightweight performance the epoxy ACE-TEC range delivers with proven shapes and much higher durability than other epoxy boards on the market.
Constant innovation, sustainability in the production process, reliability, performance and durability are what sets BIC Surfboards apart. Made in France for all surf skills and styles, all of these elements Blend in the BIC Surf DNA and is why BIC Surf is one of the largest surfboard brands in the world today.
“PAINT” SOFTBOARD SERIES
Bic Surfboards have designed the Paint Softboard Series for people looking to get into surfing with a user friendly, but well performing and non-limiting in terms of further development as skills progress.
Bic’s shapers, design team and test pilots have tested and tweaked the Bic Paint series for stability and user-friendly performance.
The Paint models utilise custom-made precision aluminium molds to ensure consistency, quality and durability of the EPS foam blanks.
The boards are reinforced with fiberglass and epoxy resin to make them strong and longer-lasting than many typical soft tops.
A low-profile integrated carry-handle makes transporting easy for surfers of all sizes, a unique feature for learners who have to carry big boards.
With properly designed rocker profiles and performance soft fins PAINT boards aren’t just for beginners, they’re fun for experienced surfers as well.
- Forgiving, easy to ride shapes for instant success.
- Precision aluminum molded cores to reproduce the initial shape, board after board.
- Fiberglass & epoxy reinforced core for durability and enhanced product lifetime.
- Soft IXPE foam top/rails and soft fins for comfort and user-friendly performance.
- Low-profile carry handle ideally positioned for easy transportation without affecting riding comfort.
- Durable protective deck layer to protect graphics.
- Soft, user-friendly fins with performance shapes.
5’6″ Mini Shortboard
The Bic Paint Mini Shortboard is a great option for kids or smaller adult learners and ideal as a first shortboard.
Experienced shortboard surfers will also be able to ride this with ease so could suit for a board to teach your child on.
Unlike the longer models in this range the 5’6″ does not have a hand hold in the deck as it is so small and easy to carry.
Size: 5’6 x 20.38″ x 3.18″ (35L)
Supports weights up approx to approx 40-50 kg (88-110 lbs) for learners or up to 80-85 kg (176 – 186 lbs) for experienced surfers.
With a touch more width and the added length, the 6’0 Shortboard has a significant more volume so will better cater to slightly older children or anyone who wants a bit more stability in their surfboard.
The 6’0 introduces the hand hold in the deck which makes it much easier to carry.
Tri fin setup with fins included.
Size: 6’0″ x 21″ x 3.18″ (42 L)
6’6″ Maxi Shortboard
The extra length and being wider and thicker, the Bic Paint 6’6″ Maxi Shortboard will easily float an adult learner as well as kids and provides sufficient float and stability which makes it easier and more forgiving for a learner.
Size: 6’6″ x 21.25″ x 3.38″ (49L)
Bic Surfboards Magnum is a stepping into the mini-mal territory.
The Magnum has more width than the shorter Paint boards but it is actually not as thick.
At 61L of volume and with a square tail this board is a stable platform that is easy to paddle and to get into waves. It will cruise down the line with ease.
Size: 7’0″ x 22.50″ x 2.75″ (61L)
8’0 Super Magnum
Bic Surfboards Super Magnum 8’0 is certified cruiser which could float a surfer of almost any weight. At only 8’0″ but packing 98L of volume this board will catch waves with ease including small gutless waves but provides versatility in different types of waves.
This board would suit a larger surfer/learner but may be a bit big and hard to handle for lighter and younger children.
Size: 8’0″ x 23.50″ x 3.75″ (98L)
G-BOARD LEARNER/ SURF SCHOOL SOFTBOARD RANGE
Bic Surfboards G-Board range is an learner/surf school collection that offer quality, safety and durability.
These boards are built to withstand the inevitable bumps and hard use that come with learning to surf and as a result, are popular with surf schools all over the world.
Learning to surf and fast progression. The optimum shapes for beginners, for safety, ride comfort and long-term reliability.
Surf schools that need highly resistant and genuine “soft” boards with a soft core, for heavy usage in aggressive physical conditions. Also for surfers and families looking for a super-solid low-risk board that will give many seasons of enjoyment.
- Premium, super-soft G-BOARDS construction (deck, rails, fins) for maximum comfort and no stress surfing.
- High volume and width for excellent stability when catching waves and standing up easily right from the start.
- Reliable surfing performance for ongoing progression.
- Long term durability for years of reliable use, even when used in a surf school environment.
- Excellent long-term investment.
- Soft fins included.
- To meet the needs of surf schools and clubs clubs and schools, or learners and families looking for the safest possible start to surfing, the G-Boards EVO range of soft boards focuses on several clear performance criterias:
- Short and wide boards, with good volume and a relatively flat deck, offer the most stable platform for your first take offs.
- Proven rocker lines, rail shapes and board outlines surf great when you start to progress.
- The core of the board is made from a high quality blank of closed-cell, fully watertight foam, unique to G-Boards.
- A composite stringer gives the board good stiffness along its length, and the slick bottom gives the board excellent glide, cushioning bumps and offering impressive knock-resistance.
- A laminated foam non-skid deck is comfortable to paddle, take-off and stand-up on.
- The flexible soft fins are very safe, yet still offer suitable surfing performance and durability for learning.
• 6’0″ x 18 7/8″ x 2 5/8″ (39L) : suits weights up to 110lbs / 50kg, ideal for kids
• 7’0″ : ≤ suites weights up to 145 lbs / 65kg
• 8’0″ : ≤ suites weights up to 165lbs / 75kg
• 9’0″ : ≥ suites weights up to 165lbs / 75kg
- Great float and very bouyant
- Easy to paddle and get into waves
- Catches waves that used to be missed
- Users note quality is higher than most other soft tops
Feel free to share your thoughts on the boards if you have any experience with them, or if you have any questions just drop us a comment below!
Lastly, if you would like to submit your own soft top surfboard review, of any foamie brand – you can do so here!