Improving your swimming techniques can be hard.
Even expert swimmers can find it troublesome to enhance their techniques.
This can result in many swimmers staying at the same level and never progressing in skill.
Fortunately, swim fins can be used by both novice and experienced swimmers to improve their technique.
There are many benefits to using fins to swim, including enhancing the flexibility of your ankles, improving speed, and easing shoulder strain.
Because of these multiple benefits, fins can be great pieces of equipment to use when swimming.
To help you find some of the best options out there, we have found six amazing swim fins and weighed up their pros and cons.
Best Swim Fins
Coming in a variety of colors and styles, these fins are not only very effective but also look great.
They give customers lots of options, allowing you to find the style that you prefer.
Aside from this, they have been designed to help better your techniques.
- Hydrodynamic slits – thanks to this feature, you will be able to improve your swimming skills. They give you more control and are great for quick leg kicks.
- Sloping surface – this feature is designed to enhance your technique.
- 100% silicone – silicone is an ideal material for swimming fins to be made from.
- Lots of colors to choose from – if you are concerned about the design of your fin, this may be one of the best products for you to get. This model is available in lots of different color schemes and designs. This makes it a very flexible choice.
- Open heel – this heel will allow you to work on your ankle flexibility, one of the main advantages of using fins for swimming.
- Not the most durable of materials – some customers have complained of these fins breaking after a while. This may mean that this product is not as long-lasting or strong as its competitors. One could argue that this is because Arena has prioritized the benefits of the fins over their durability.
Secondly, these fins from COZIA DESIGN are great for swimmers and snorkelers alike.
They are designed to make your underwater movements much easier and to give you increased propulsion.
To put them on, you simply use a strap that can be adjusted.
- Adjustable strap – trying to find fins that suit your feet perfectly can be an irksome task. Fortunately, the straps of these fins can be adjusted to fit your feet. Not only that, but these fins are super easy to put on and will prevent the fins from accidentally falling off.
- Comes with neoprene water socks – this product saves you money by providing these socks, meaning you do not have the hassle of buying them separately. These socks are comfortable and will help stop chafing from occurring. Furthermore, they will make your feet feel cozy even when you are swimming.
- Lightweight material – these fins are strong without weighing you down. This lightweight quality also means that they are easy to carry around with you, making them portable.
- A range of sizes – COZIA DESIGN offers these fins for both men and women in a wide range of sizes. This means that they can perfectly fit most customers.
- Designed for snorkelers – though these fins are more than suitable for swimmers, they have primarily been created for snorkeling. As a result, they may not be as beneficial to swimmers as other products featured in this list.
Next, these fins from TYR Stryker are another great option for swimmers.
They can be used by those with different levels of training, including those with little swimming experience.
Their colorful design is sun-protected. In terms of safety, they also have been built to prevent you from slipping.
- Non-slip – this footpad has been constructed to not slip, meaning you are safe whenever you are walking in your fins.
- Sun protection – swimming outdoors can leave your fins vulnerable to the sun. As a consequence, their colors will begin to fade. To prevent this from happening, TYR Stryker has included built-in protection from the sun.
- Short blade – if you are looking for a short blade option, you can not go far wrong with these fins.
- Natural flow – to best improve your swimming, these fins have been made to emulate the natural throw of the movement known as the flutter kick.
- Size fitting issues – some customers have had trouble fitting into these fins. It is worth bearing in mind that the sizes for these fins might not be completely accurate.
The Stealth S1 fins have an individual design that distinguishes them from other items on this list.
They have a handy drainage system contained within the soft pocket.
They also have a blade that has been constructed to help you swim better.
Aside from these features, these fins also look stylish.
- 3 cool designs – these fins have unique designs that will make you look awesome when you swim. They come with artistic details that are either teal, ice blue, or fluro red. This gives you options and enables you to look your best.
- 100% Malaysian rubber – this durable material will add power to your kicks but will still last you for a long time.
- Drainage system – are you fed up with sand and other debris getting into your flippers? If so, this product has the perfect solution for you. Its drainage system keeps out sand and shells. Consequently, you are safe to wear your fins on the beach without the fear that they will become clogged up with sand.
- Angled dolphin arcblade – this distinctive blade is unique to these fins. As a consequence, your thrust will be improved. As will your acceleration.
- Ankle straps – these simple straps will keep your fins safely attached, even in intense conditions.
- Price – these fins are noticeably more expensive than the other products featured here. Because of this, they will not be good for people who are unwilling to spend a lot of money. If you are willing to spend a little extra to ensure that you have high-quality fins you should consider these ones.
Penultimately, these bright gold fins are sure to make an impression.
Like all fins, they will aid you in improving your swimming abilities.
However, they also have their own design features that make them unique, such as the angle of these fins.
- Ideal angle – designed to be in alignment with the natural angle of your feet, these fins will be comfortable and will encourage you to kick properly when swimming.
- Soft rubber pocket – if you want comfort, this is a feature that will interest you.
- Stiff short blade – this durable blade will certainly encourage you to develop your swimming conditioning. These short blades have been constructed for short but quick kicks.
- Natural rubber – this rubber has been designed to be soft on your skin.
- Rubbing pains – some wearers have experienced rubbing pains when they first used these fins, especially around the toe area. Though they may be quite painful to get used to, these fins are worth it when you begin to notice that your swimming skills have become more refined.
Finally, these fins from Speedo are great for both swimmers and snorkelers.
They are perhaps the most flexible product contained in this list, they are unisex and come in a range of sizes.
These sizes match a different color, allowing you to add some brightness to your training.
- Unisex – these fins are aimed at both men and women. Though they are designed for adults, Speedo also has a product available for younger people. Covering a wide range of sizes, you will be certain to find a fin that will fit your feet.
- Orthopedic pockets – these pockets are made to soothe your feet and to be suitable for long-lasting usage.
- Different tip colors – each size from this wide range is linked to a color, allowing you to easily find the one that suits you. They range from red to blue. For customers who want a fin that looks appealing, you might love these ones.
- Long blade – giving you increased power, these blades will maximize the value of your swimming experience.
- It can be uncomfortable at first – with some fins, it can take some time for your feet to adapt to them. You might find that it is the case with these fins, which some people have complained are quite uncomfortable when you initially try them out.
Now that you have read through this list of the best swimming fins, you will have a more complete understanding of these products.
You will now be able to identify some of the features you should look for and some of the ones you should avoid.
However, it is worth warning you that buying a pair of fins for swimming is not as straightforward as it might first appear.
To help you get the best fins for your needs, this buyer’s guide contains some of the main considerations you will need to think about.
It is highly suggested that you read through this guide before you begin shopping.
Some brands will offer limited sizing options when it comes to fins.
If your feet are somewhat unusually sized, such as if they are very large or extremely small, you might find it difficult to locate a fin.
If you are in this situation, you should look for fins that are available in a wide range of sizes.
You can also get fins with straps that can be altered, such as the ones from COZIA DESIGN that have been included in this guide.
These allow you to alter the strap to better fit your feet and ankles.
In terms of sizing, you should also think about whether you want a small fin or a large fin. There will be advantages and disadvantages to using both sizes.
For example, larger fins can give you more power and speed.
However, they will be more strenuous on your legs. Meanwhile, smaller fins are more portable and easier to take traveling with you.
The shape of a fin will be an essential part of a fin.
They will need to be of a shape that is streamlined and that can help improve your swimming.
Otherwise, these fins will not work. In this case, it might take some experimenting to find the fin shape that suits you best.
For some, the look of their fin will not be a major concern.
However, other people will want their fins to look aesthetically pleasing and may even have a look in mind. If you are quite picky about the look of your fin, there will be fewer options that will appeal to you.
Fortunately, different models come in a variety of appearances. You can even buy fins from the same brand that come in different designs, such as the Arena Powerfin.
This makes the products more personalized and will visually set them apart from other fins.
Some fins also contain various details that have been included to strengthen their aesthetic appeal.
A prime example of this is the Stealth S1 fins, which have colorful details on the lower parts of the fin.
Wearing fins such as these will make you stand out and will make all of your fellow swimmers jealous.
Swimming fins can be sold at a range of different prices.
You will likely have to spend at least $20 on them. If you are unwilling to spend more than this, you will be seriously restricted as to which products are suitable.
To stop yourself from spending too much money, it is advised that you set yourself a target for the amount you are prepared to spend.
This is because there are swimming fins on the market that are sold at considerably higher prices, some as much as over $60.
If you are not prepared to spend this amount, you can always filter your searches from lowest price to highest price when shopping online.
Most fins will be made from silicone or will include it in their design. This is because it is a flexible material that can be made into the optimal shape for a fin.
However, if you are interested in acquiring a fin made of an alternative material, you may have to look harder.
It is fairly common for fins to also be made of rubber.
Having flimsy or easily broken fins will not be beneficial for most customers.
If you do have fins like this, you will constantly have to replace them. This can really add to the stress of owning fins and will cost you more money.
To prevent this from happening, you should aim to get a pair of fins that are durable and not easily broken.
You can check out the user reviews of a product to see whether other customers have found their products to be long-lasting.
In addition, you can also research what material a fin is made of. If it seems like a weak material, it may be better to avoid these products.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Long Fins Better Than Short Ones?
As mentioned in the Buyer’s Guide, no fin size is inherently better than the other. Which size you consider to be the best will just depend on your personal preference.
Long fins will be great at creating more thrust, though it will require more effort to do this. As a result, they may not be the best choice for all swimmers.
Meanwhile, short fins will be good for most swimmers and are more portable than their larger equivalent.
You will also get much more motion with these fins than you do with longer models. In addition, shorter fins are more able to replicate a natural swimming situation since they are closer to the size of your feet.
What Types Of Swimming Fins Are There?
The main two types of swimming fins are long and short. However, you may be able to locate medium-sized fins.
These fins are in between the long and the short models. Because of that, they share some of their advantages and disadvantages.
Can You Burn More Calories By Wearing Fins?
Yes, fins can be used to burn more calories. This is because your exercise will be more intense.
How Fast Can You Become By Wearing Fins?
The use of swimming fins has been proven to make you quicker. The amount of speed that this will add will vary considerably. It will be influenced by the individual.
Moreover, it will also be affected by what type of fins are worn. However, you are likely to see approximately a 30% increase in your speed if you start wearing fins.