Going to the beach on a hot summer’s day can be a fun and joyous experience. You get to relax, bask in the warmth and even have a splash in the sea. If you are a true beach lover, you may even don your bikini, grab your surfboard and try to ride some waves!
Although women have been surfing for a long time, there is still very little choice when it comes to women’s surf wear – especially regarding bikinis.
Most bikinis are fashionable and comfortable to wear, however, this does not mean that they have been designed for more practical purposes – such as swimming and surfing.
As a female surfer, it is important to invest your money in a bikini that can endure the pressures of the sport. This means a bikini that is both durable and capable of staying on your body after you have been thrown from your board.
There are hundreds of bikinis available for online purchase. However, the difficulty is finding the ones that are capable of withstanding the power of the sea.
That is why we have compiled together a selection of the best surf bikinis currently available on the market. These bikinis are stylish, dependable and perfect for any female surfers looking to brave the tides this summer.
We’ve also put together an informative buyer’s guide, to aid you in your search for the perfect surf bikini.
First, on our list, we have a surf bikini that has been specially designed for athletic women who enjoy braving the deep blue sea. This TYR women’s workout bikini has been made from high-quality polyester and has been fully lined to ensure UPF 50+ sun protection.
Featuring a moderate coverage top, the TYR workout bikini promises reliable coverage and can be worn for both professional and recreational purposes.
- Athletic Design: The TYR workout bikini has been designed for athletic purposes and can be worn both professionally and recreationally.
- High-Quality Materials: The surf bikini has been made from high-quality polyester – making it durable and washable.
- UV Protection: The TYR workout bikini has been fully lined and provides UPF 50+ sun protection.
- Moderate Coverage: The surf bikini’s moderate top promises moderate and reliable coverage when entering the ocean.
- Limited Sizes: The sizes have proven smaller than advertised – this means this bikini may not be available for plus size women.
The Volcom women’s V neck bikini top has been made using a combination of Italian materials, including 78% nylon and 22% elastane. Featuring a simple pull on closure, this bikini top can then be tightened using the adjustable lace-up ties on the side.
This allows you to make the fit more comfortable and snug before entering the ocean. The bikini top is hand wash only and also comes with removable bra cups and the signature Valcom embroidery.
- Italian Fabrics: The Volcom bikini top has been made from a combination of Italian nylon and elastane – for a flexible and durable material.
- Pull-On Closure: The surf bikini can be pulled over your head for a fast and easy change.
- Adjustable Lace-Up Ties: The Volcom bikini can be tightened using the lace-up ties on the side – for a snug fit that won’t come undone when surfing.
- Removable Breast Cups: The surf bikini features removable padding that can provide extra coverage if needed.
- Hand Wash Only: The Volcom bikini is made from Italian materials that can only be washed by hand.
The Cupshe women’s adjustable strap bikini is perfect for women who love to catch waves on hot sunny days. Made from a combination of 80% chinlon and 20% spandex, this bikini set features adjustable shoulder straps and a unique striped pattern.
The bikini also comes with padded cups and is recommended to be regularly washed with cold water. The bikini should not be cleaned using bleach and is not suitable for tumble drying.
- Durable Materials: The Cupshe adjustable bikini has been made using chinlon and spandex – to create a material that is stretchy and durable.
- Adjustable Shoulder Straps: The surf bikini comes with adjustable shoulder straps that can be used to alter the fit and snugness.
- Padded Cups: The Cupshe bikini features padded cups for extra protection and coverage.
- Regular Wash: The surf bikini can be regularly washed, however, it should only be washed in cold water and without bleach.
- Can’t Tumble Dry: The Cupshe adjustable bikini cannot be dried in the tumble dryer.
The Roxy women’s athletic bikini top has been made especially for sporty women who love riding the waves. Made from a combination of 87% nylon and 13% elastane to create a soft and resistant fabric, this bikini top is stretchy, durable and perfect for surfing.
The bikini also features an athletic triangular shape and comes with removable pads and adjustable straps. The bikini top is also low support and is hand washable only.
- Stretchy Fabric: The Roxy women’s bikini top has been made using a combination of nylon and elastane to create a soft and stretchy fabric.
- Athletic Design: The surf bikini top features an athletic triangular design that makes it perfect for athletic and recreational use.
- Removable Pads: The Roxy women’s bikini top also features removable pads for extra coverage and protection.
- Adjustable Straps: The surf bikini top comes with adjustable straps to ensure a snug and comfortable fit.
- Hand Wash Only: The Roxy women’s bikini top can only be washed by hand and should not be put in a washing machine.
The Zinpretty high waisted sports bikini has been designed using a combination of nylon and spandex – to create a material that is soft, stretchy and suitable for athletic purposes.
The material is also thick and will not go see-through when exposed to the ocean. The bikini set comes with adjustable straps and also features high waisted bottoms for fuller coverage.
The elegant design can be worn both professionally and recreationally and offers coverage and protection when surfing.
- Athletic Design: The Zinpretty sports bikini has been made using a combination of nylon and spandex – to create an athletic material that is both soft and stretchy.
- Thick Fabric: The surf bikini features thick fabric that will not go see-through when wet.
- Adjustable Straps: The Zinpretty sports bikini also features adjustable straps to help make the fit more snug and reliable.
- High-Waisted Bottoms: The high-waisted bottoms provide more coverage and can be worn for both athletic and recreational purposes.
- Bottoms Run Low: The bikini bottoms have been criticized for running low and being smaller than advertised – leading to an uncomfortable fit.
The notion of buying a bikini may sound like a simple task, after all, hasn’t every bikini been made for the same purpose? However, certain elements should be taken into consideration before purchasing a new bikini.
Especially if you are buying one intending to wear it while you surf.
Down below we have outlined some key points that should be kept in mind when it comes to purchasing your new surf bikini.
By consulting this informative buyer’s guide, you will be able to select your perfect surf bikini, saving you both time and effort.
When purchasing a new bikini, there is one thing that you should always be conscious of and it’s the size of the bikini you are interested in. No bikini is made equal, and this means that different sizes can vary across different surfwear brands.
And because bikinis are made to be form-fitting, you’re going to have to find the right size for the best results.
Now we understand that you may already know what size bikini is the best fit for you and your body type. However, when it comes to purchasing a bikini for surfing, we recommend purchasing one that is a little tighter on your figure.
When surfing you don’t want to be wearing a loose bikini, as this could lead to the bikini coming undone or even being lost completely once you have fallen off your board.
By wearing a bikini that is a little tighter, you can reduce the risk of this happening, allowing you to enjoy your surfing experience without any concerns.
But how can you make sure that you are buying the right size bikini? Well, the answer to that is simple. All you have to do is find a decent measuring tape and use it to measure the size of your hips, waist and chest.
This is a tried and tested method that is assured to deliver the efficient results you need when searching for a new surf bikini.
Another element that should be considered when purchasing a bikini is the amount of coverage that the bikini offers. If you are purchasing a bikini for surfing, then you are probably searching for a bikini top that provides at least a moderate amount of coverage.
This means that you should refrain from purchasing more common bikini designs, as average bikinis are often flimsy and made to be easily removable.
Fortunately, when searching for a bikini most surfwear brands and stores will provide you with information regarding the amount of coverage their bikinis offer.
However, if this information is not made readily available, then you should consider the design and style of the bikini you are purchasing. We recommend that you invest your money in a bikini that is more athletic in its design, as these bikinis will often be more durable and form-fitting.
Sports bikinis are often distinguished by their shape and design, with the bikini top often taking on an appearance that is more similar to a vest than a bra.
Sports bikinis are arguably the most effective bikini when it comes to providing a decent amount of coverage while you surf. Because they have been designed for athletic purposes, sports bikinis cover and protect the majority of the chest area.
They are also form-fitting and often feature pull-on closure, which means they are not easily removable and less likely to be pulled off in the ocean. Beyond this, sports bikinis are also capable of assisting the wearer in the water, giving them space and flexibility to swim with precision.
Although we would personally recommend sports bikinis to any female surfer, we understand that their design is not for everyone. If you are opposed to wearing a sports bikini due to their more vest-like shape, then you can buy more traditional bikinis that assure coverage and durability.
Bikinis that feature pull-on closure are often the best when it comes to coverage, as they are designed to cover the more significant parts of the chest area.
Pull-on closure bikinis also range more in their designs, with some being smaller and flexible than sports bikinis. We would recommend bikinis with pull-on closure for those surfers who prefer to wear more traditional bikinis when they hit the waves.
When purchasing surf bikinis, you will notice that the majority of bikinis are made from the same two materials – nylon and polyester. But why is this? And what material is proven to make the best bikini for your money? We have answered these questions down below, where we take a detailed look at the two materials and their benefits.
Polyester has long been the reigning champion of the swimwear industry, as it is an incredibly durable material that is both waterproof and flexible.
Polyester is also favored as a material for its UV protection and for its ability to retain its shape after getting wet.
When making swimwear, polyester will often be blended with spandex to create a material that is both practical and malleable.
The consistency of the material will often change in softness and texture depending on the quality of the filament used to create the fabric during the production process.
Because of this variant, the consistency of the material may change between different bikini brands. For example, a polyester that has been produced using a thick filament may give off a coarser and rougher consistency.
While polyester made using a thin filament will give you a smoother and silky quality.
When purchasing a bikini from a store, we encourage you to test the texture of the material before completing your purchase.
By touching the fabric, you can gauge how the bikini will feel against your skin, while also helping you to decide if it is the right bikini for your requirements.
- UV Protection
- Quick Drying
- Holds Shape
- Chlorine Resistant
Although polyester dominates the swimwear industry, you may find that many bikinis you encounter will be made using nylon blends. Like polyester, nylon is an extremely versatile material that is comfortable to wear, stretchy and durable.
Typically, a bikini will be made using a blend of nylon and lycra, to create a fabric that is flexible and elastic.
Unlike polyester, nylon is not a printable material and is not known for its ability to retain color and shape. However, this does not mean that nylon does not come with its unique features.
Nylon is often favored as a material for women’s swimwear because it can produce garments with a glossy or satin sheen. The material is also very strong and practical and is capable of drying very quickly after being exposed to water.
Nylon is also the best at creating swimwear that hugs the shape of your body, giving you more flexibility and precision while you swim.
Although nylon is often preferred among women, the material may not be the most effective when it comes to surfing.
Although it dries quickly and is extremely practical, the material itself offers little to no protection from UV rays, which could prove dangerous if you prefer to surf for long sessions during hot and sunny days. The material is also only hand washable, which could limit your ability to surf throughout the week.
- Soft Texture
- Glossy Finish
- Fast Drying
- Hand Washable
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Surf In A One Piece?
Although bikinis can be both freeing and flexible while you surf, sometimes your stomach area will suffer when you wear them.
Either by being in direct contact with the sun or with the board, sometimes it’s nice to give your stomach a break from the pain.
However, if you don’t want to wear a full wetsuit or rash vest, then you can instead wear a one-piece swimsuit. One-piece swimsuits can be particularly effective while you surf, as they provide more coverage than bikinis but are less constrictive than wetsuits.
The coverage they provide can also protect your chest and stomach from the sun and from more serious injuries that could be caused by the ocean and your board.
Can You Surf In A Sports Bra?
Sometimes finding a bikini or wetsuit that meets your requirements can be difficult, but this shouldn’t mean that you miss out on a surfing session because of it.
Regardless of the style of swimwear, we always recommend thicker straps and materials to assure coverage and reliability. If you can’t find a swimsuit that provides this, then you can wear a sports bra and get the same effect.